WOMAN | Sexual Abuse And The Girl Child | Sunday, July 1 | Hosted by Jaymee |
What is Sexual Abuse?
Child sexual abuse, also called child molestation, is a form of child abuse in which an adult or older adolescent uses a child for sexual stimulation or satisfaction. This is the most common form of assault on the girl child. It is recorded that 90% of sexual abuse is from close relatives like brother, father, step father, cousins etc or someone close to the family, like a neighbor or family friend. Sexual abuse can happen anywhere; either in school, home, church and social gatherings. It damages a child physically and psychologically; and a lot of the victims find it difficult to open up either as a result of fear instilled by the abuser, or fear of ridicule or social stigma and in the end it is not properly managed.
A lot of parents are too hard on their girl child and do not trust them; thereby making it difficult for the child to voice out her fears. The victims of sexual abuse are at more risk of damage if the abuser is violent or threaten them or they do not get enough support from family and loved ones.
Category Of Sexual Abuse
Child Sexual Abuse is divided into the following:
1. Child Marriage: This is the situation in which a young child is given out in marriage and starts having sexual experiences in which she is not yet developed for. Most child marriages are sexual abuse oriented because she is either forced to give consent, raped or too young to give consent to sexual activity.
2. Rape: Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration carried out against a person without that person’s consent . The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion , abuse of authority , or against a person who is incapable of giving valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, has an intellectual disability or is below the legal age of consent.
3. Child pornography: Child pornography is a form of child sexual exploitation. Federal law defines child pornography as any visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving a minor (persons less than 18 years old). Images of child pornography are also referred to as child sexual abuse images. The production of child pornography creates a permanent record of a child’s sexual abuse. When these images are placed on the Internet and disseminated online, the victimization of the children continues in perpetuity.
4. Incest: Sexual activity between family members or close relatives. This typically includes sexual activity between people in a consanguineous relationship (blood relations), and sometimes those related by affinity, step family, those related by adoption or marriage , or members of the same clan or lineage.
5. Sexual exploitation is a term defining offenses in which an adult victimizes a minor for advancement, sexual gratification, or profit; for example, prostituting a child, and creating or trafficking in child pornography.
Forms and Consequences of Sexual Abuse
Sexual abuse is in three main forms and they are:
a) Staring at a child with sexual intent
b) Touching a child’s body or genitals with sexual intent
c) Penetration with any form of object.
These have several consequences on a girl child:
1. Sexually transmitted diseases.
2. Bleeding or death.
3. Damage to the body
4. Unusual interest in or avoidance of all things of a sexual nature
5. Sleep problems or nightmares
6. Depression or withdrawal from friends or family
8. Refusal to go to school
9. Delinquency/conduct problems
11. Aspects of sexual molestation in drawings, games, fantasies
13. Extreme fear or anxiety
14. Substance use / abuse
15. Suicidal behavior
16. Aggressive with trust issues in relationships and marriages
How to End or Reduce Sexual Abuse of the Girl Child
1. Proper sexual education and talks on their body parts that should not be touched by the parents.
2. A solid communication and close relationship between parents and children especially the mother.
3. Raising awareness of the unacceptability of child sexual abuse, and promoting the notion that stopping child sexual abuse is everyone’s responsibility.
4. Creating awareness of its consequences.
5. Supporting the programs that speak against sexual abuse
6. Enforced laws and Government support.
Sexual Abuse must end; its up to us to make the world a better place.
What other measures can be taken to stop child sexual abuse?
Please share with us.
Parlizia was founded in June 2016 as a leadership social-networking site. We provide a unique platform for people to inspire good leadership for the development of peaceful and progressive human societies. Our vision is thus, to build a global leadership platform where everyone has a voice. A platform where you have the power to change lives and change the world.
Parlizia was born out of a need to get the youth involved in leadership early. As future leaders, having sound knowledge on the requirements of good leadership is priceless. We mean – service, integrity, honor, boldness, purpose, diligence and other attributes. The world, and especially Africa is in dire need of leadership that puts the people first. That is the only way to guarantee a great and prosperous future.
So you don’t know Parlizia yet? Connect and interact with awesome people in the leadership community of social leaders in different spheres of life.